Tribal Treasures: An article about Tania Niwa in Rex Inflight Magazine

I was recently interviewed in National Regional Airline Inflight 'Out There Magazine'."  

The young journalist assigned to write for the Artspace section happened to be photographed by me a decade ago with her sister for their dad's birthday.  She was therefore able to share her own personal experience of working with me, while also writing about how my heritage has helped define my fine art photography.

The portrait of the MAORI WARRIOR in a suit with full facial moko (tattoos) is my Great Great Great Grandfather Te Porikapa, who was a warrior scout for Pacifist Taranaki Tribal Leader, Te Whiti O Rongo Mai.  Te Porikapa's Grandson was named Aniwaniwa which is where my family surname 'Niwa' started.  Aniwaniwa translates into 'Child of the Mist'.

The traditional Maori Meeting House is Owae Marae, which sits before the majestic Mount Taranaki.  Growing up next to the Marae was a constant source of inspiration.  Our art teacher would also take us there to draw the detail of the carvings.  It was very fitting that one of my very first experimentations in creating my own photographic style, was taken at the Marae (see image on first page with young woman) in about 1992.